Does your apartment need an update? From cramped and cluttered rooms to spaces that just don’t flow properly, an apartment renovation can completely change the look, feel and use of your space. But, with apartments comes a unique set of challenges. Strict strata-bylaws, limited space and added design and planning regulations can leave you feeling a little claustrophobic.
At Lux Interiors, we specialise in providing innovative design solutions to make the most out of existing spaces and fixed layouts. With designs centred on maximising space and adding individual decor elements, we leave your home feeling less cluttered and more luxurious. Our renovation designs transform your home into a modern, functional and welcoming space.
Space Saving Solutions in Apartment Kitchens
In many apartments, kitchens are the biggest pains when it comes to usable space and effective storage. Key to enhancing the flow and productivity of your kitchen is by incorporating space saving solutions into your design.
- Under mount sinks: not only having a sleek and modern appearance, under mount sinks can make your kitchen appear longer and larger.
- One bowl sink: Instead of trying to fit in a double sink -which is essentially two small bowls with a divider between them – it is more functional to have one larger sink. This takes up less room and gives you a more functional bowl that fits in larger items.
- Over-the-sink cutting board: This can fit perfectly over undermount sinks to temporarily expand your benchtop space, and can also hide dirty dishes.
- Pullout corner units: These help you utilise all your cupboard space and give access to hard to reach corners. Ensure you select a high quality units so you know they will last.
- Hiding a small appliance cabinet inside a pantry – with access through the side panel of the pantry. This will clear up bench space and make your kitchen feel less cluttered.
- Floor to ceiling cabinets: store appliances and items used occasionally up high while keeping your everyday necessities at eye level.
Consider open shelves or floating shelves instead of overhead cabinets. These give the illusion of more space.
- Built in appliances: opt for built in fridges and microwaves to enhance the visual flow of your kitchen while better utilising space.
- Replacing cabinets with drawers: not just for cutlery, drawers of all sizes allow you to utilise the entire allocated space efficiently.
- Select appliance sizes that are proportional to your kitchen. For example a 900ml oven in a small apartment kitchen is going to look disproportionate and also take up a lot of storage space.
- Can you gain space from another area nearby? For example if there is a Walk in Robe adjacent to the kitchen, is it possible to knock out the dividing wall and gain more kitchen space. Then add built in cabinetry to the bedroom.
- Most importantly – every millimetre counts! Don’t make corner fillers or wall scribes larger than they need to be.
Apartment Bathroom Renovation Ideas
Often, apartment bathrooms can feel cramped and cluttered. Adding a floating vanity can give the illusion of more space, while wall mounted toilets and mixer taps give your bathroom a cohesive and sleek flow. For extra privacy, well designed nib walls separate toilet and bathroom spaces with ease – adding extra storage anddecor without closing in your space.
Make use of the accessible bathroom walls to add storage and built in shelving wherever possible, keeping your bathroom products out of sight for a clean and open feel. You should Recess mirrored cabinets into the wall wherever possible for extra storage and a sleek look.
Find out more about our top tips for small bathrooms.
Entire Apartment Renovation Tips
When it comes to renovating entire spaces, keep a consistent and considered colour palette. We recommend making use of light colours and accents to draw in natural light and leave your space feeling more open and welcoming.
If you’re in an older apartment or unit, you might consider knocking down walls and remodelling to give your space a new lease on life. As Master Builders, we are able to knock down walls and completely transform spaces with expertise and precision.
Make sure your builder has factored every cost into your quote before you commit. Make sure they have included floor and wall protection for the public areas of the building – ie the Lift requires protection at all times whilst workers are on site. Lobby floors need protection.
Have they included a green star waste removal solution if there is no area for a skip bin?
Have you selected any items that are too large for the lift and may require a crane to lift items into the apartment?
All these things are very important to consider, and you should seek expert advice for whole home renovations.
Expert Advice for Your Apartment Renovation
At Lux Interiors, our designs are all about luxury and functionality. While an attractive space is important, you need to ensure that your design is practical and tailored to your lifestyle. From smart, space saving storage solutions to multifunctional spaces that offer versatility and flexibility, we create innovative apartment renovation designs for simple living.Create a luxurious, comfortable and practical apartment renovation with help from the professionals at Lux Interiors. Contact us on (08) 9344 7607.